India is a Party to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), Paris Agreement and Kyoto Protocol. The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) is the nodal Ministry for coordinating country’s response to climate change in line with national policies and UNFCCC. The Climate Change Division looks after the issues related to climate change, including the International negotiations and domestic policies and actions.The division is responsible for:
- Submission of National Communications (NATCOMs) and Biennial Update Reports (BURs) to UNFCCC.
- Coordination of National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC).
- Coordinating preparation, submission and implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) under Paris Agreement
- Studies for assessment of climate change in the country under the Climate Change Action Programme (CCAP), including National Carbonaceous Aerosols Programme (NCAP), Long Term Ecological Observatories (LTEO) Programme, and GHG Modeling studies.
- Implementation of National Adaptation Fund on Climate Change (NAFCC) to meet the cost of adaptation measures in areas that are vulnerable to climate change.
- Encouraging the State Governments to prepare their State Action Plan on Climate Change (SAPCC) in line with the strategies outlined in NAPCC.
- International negotiations on climate change.
Submitted India’s First National Communication to UNFCCC
Released National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC)
Submitted India’s Second National Communication to UNFCC
Launched Climate Change Action Programme (CCAP)
Established National Adaptation Fund for Climate Change (NAFCC)
Submitted Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) to UNFCCC
Submitted First Biennial Update Report to UNFCCC
Ratified Paris Agreement under UNFCCC
Deposited its instrument of acceptance for Doha Amendment (2nd Commitment Period) to the Kyoto Protocol
Submitted Second Biennial Update Report to UNFCCC
Constituted Apex Committee for Implementation of Paris Agreement (AIPA)
Submitted Third Biennial Update Report to UNFCCC